Workspaces -- realizing smart spaces
`Workspaces' is a project, started in January 2015, to document and modernize a large body of work on desired-state policy-declared systems for bespoke environments, by the myself and others. The ideas incorporates concepts from sources like distributed systems, CFEngine, promise theory, networking, etc.
The idea is to take onboard new perspectives and developments in technology and work cultures, such as packaging, virtualization and containerization, in order to condense and simplify a universal abstraction for `cloud computing' and the `Internet of Things' from the large diverging mass of technologies. The technologies for cloud computing and the Internet of Things are both part of my vision of pervasive embedded computing, and these technologies are currently on a collision course, which is accelerating in a number of open source projects.
The ideas here are mostly quite old, but have never been full realizable with the technologies of the day. They have been developed first hand by the various authors on these notes below, and by others, and tried through several generations of technology. The invention of promise theory allows us to see many different ideas in a common light, and unify them simply.
- Workspaces - concept summary (pdf)
- The semantics of workspaces (pdf)
- Federated multi-tenant service architecture for an Internet of things.
- Kubernetes as a prototype platform for Workspaces.
- An aircraft is a collection of workspaces.
- A car is a collection of workspaces.
- Your kitchen is a workspace.
- Your house is a workspace.
- Your delivery verhicle fleet is a workspace.
- Your virtual online service is a collection of workspaces.